Sunday, May 4, 2008

An excellent article by Steve Hill...What do you believe?

Posted by Simply Christian

I found this post on Steve Hill's website and considering what I have discussed lately seems to be appropriate. Please read, be challenged and enjoy.


What Do You Believe


The other day, a member of our congregation was having a chat with a young stranger who seemed religious. However, as they spoke, it became questionable whether or not he really knew the Lord. To move the conversation forward, the man from Heartland asked "What denomination are you from?" The young man gave him the answer. The Heartland member then asked, "Oh, so, what do you believe in that denomination?" The young man's answer was humorous. "You know - the Bible, Jesus, and all that other stuff."


Upon hearing this story, I was reminded of the hundreds of people I've spoken with over the years who have given me a similar answer when I've asked them about their beliefs. My friend, when you're questioned about what you believe, your answer should be much more than, "The Bible, Jesus and all that other stuff." Here's what you should say:




  • I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God.

  • I believe that there is only one true God.

  • I believe in the Trinity; God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

  • I believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life.

  • I believe in His miracles, His atoning death and bodily resurrection.

  • I believe in the blessed hope, the rapture of the church

  • I believe that the only means for being cleansed from sin is through repentance and faith in the precious blood of Christ.

  • I believe in water baptism by immersion.

  • I believe that the redemptive work of Christ on the cross provides healing for the human body.

  • I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost.

  • I believe in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit.

  • I believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the one to everlasting life and the other to everlasting damnation.


Remember, this is more than just a 'list' to be recited upon command. It should be the basis for how we live our lives. When we truly believe the above statements, our daily thoughts, our words and behavior should fully endorse them. I'll paraphrase that old saying, "You should tell others about the love of Jesus, every day, everywhere, and when necessary, use words too." (Yes, our everyday actions should be a shining light in this dark world.) Be ready to share your faith, I'm praying that the Lord will give you opportunities to do so!


Blessings,
Steve

0 comments: